This went out last week, but we thought we’d share it with you all!
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 23, 2016 #080-16
Community invited to Oxnard Tamale Festival for music, dancing and savory tamales Dec. 3, 2016
OXNARD, Calif.–Families, friends and neighbors are invited to ring in the holiday season at the City of Oxnard’s ninth annual Tamale Festival featuring live entertainment, arts and crafts, dancing and, of course, mouthwatering tamales. The festival will take place in downtown Oxnard from 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 3, 2016, at Plaza Park, 500 S. C St.
The fun-filled event features several family friendly activities where you can do the following:
- Enter the cumbia competition with your best dance partner to show off your fancy footwork. The best dancers will be awarded first, second and third place trophies. The competition is free, and competitors must sign in on event day. Competitors will be judged by spectators attending the event.
- Prepare your best homemade tamales to showcase your family recipe for the “best tamales contest!” Members of the public who want to participate in the contest must bring a dozen tamales along with the contest application no later than 1:30 p.m. on the day of the event. The application can be downloaded at www.oxnardtamalefestival.com/contests and will also be available at the event. There is no cost to enter the contest. Approximately 20 entries will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Five local judges will taste test the tamales and crown the winners of the “best savory tamale,” “best sweet tamale” and “best overall tamale.
- Kids can enjoy adrenaline-pumping fun at the kids zone as well as arts and crafts. The kids zone will feature an inflatable pool water roller, pirate adventure playhouse, parachute rocket ride and battle balls.
- Stop by the craft vendor area to browse organizations’ info booths as well as purchase a wide variety of items including jewelry, clothing, art and more.
- Purchase authentic tamales from featured festival vendors Panaderia La Mexicana Bakery, Me Gusta Gourmet Tamales, Lucy’s Tamales Factory, Anne’s Bakery, Casa Lopez and Mama Carol’s Tamales.
- Enjoy live entertainment by Lazer Broadcasting Corp and featured groups In Stone, Sound Effect, Zon Candela, Banda Costado and La Sonora Explosiva.
The 2016 Tamale Festival, www.oxnardtamalefestival.com, is organized by City of Oxnard’s Cultural and Community Services Department staff and volunteers. The presenting sponsor is Lazer Broadcasting Corp.
The City of Oxnard is a full-service general law city incorporated in 1903. Oxnard is the largest and most populous city in the County of Ventura, serving 200,000 culturally diverse residents. Read more about the City of Oxnard at www.oxnard.org. Follow us on social media at www.twitter.com/CityofOxnard (@CityofOxnard), www.facebook.com/CityofOxnard andwww.vimeo.com/cityofoxnard.